- Accurate Estimates Require Preparation and Coordination
- Rental Unit Leases
- Read All Terms and Agreements
- Packing 101 Tips
- Some Packing Methods
- Final Preparation
1. Accurate Estimates Require Preparation and Coordination
Moving costs are different from traveling costs because it isn’t just you and a bag or two that have to get from point A to point B. You have to coordinate the process of packing all of your belongings, transport them safely, and then unpacking them all. In the process, you also have to work out leaving your current residence, finding and paying for a new residence, and more.
All of these aspects of moving can be very costly. You can estimate the cost of moving by developing a thorough budget ahead of time and then comparing prices. Moving professionals from moving companies are also willing to help you calculate your cost of moving.
Ending a lease or selling a house
Signing a new lease or mortgage
Renting a truck or moving service
Paying for packaging materials or getting free boxes
Getting insurance for possessions being transported
Your own personal travel costs, like lodging and meals
Gas and mileage rates
2. Rental Unit LeasesSigning a new lease can also throw off how you estimate the cost of moving. When you move into a rental, you generally have to pay more up front than you will on a monthly basis. Most rental units require a security deposit, an application fee, and sometimes even both your first and last month’s rent. That’s a lot of money to have to pay immediately, so you want to be prepared for it.
3. Read All Terms and AgreementsWhen you buy a plane ticket, you can simply look up how much it costs to fly from one location to another and look at that cost across different airlines. Moving truck rentals and services are not so simple. Different rentals and moving companies offer different services.
One company may charge you a mere $200 a day to move, while another may charge you $400, but the first one may not be covering the cost of gas or of loading your possessions into the truck. When you compare rates, be very thorough, reading all of the fine print. Make a new budget projection for each option you consider in order to see how the costs will really add up.
4. Packing 101 Moving Tips
Having your possessions properly packed by a professional is the key to a good move. However, you may have decided to pack your belongings yourself. This doesn’t mean your moving efforts will be futile, but it does put your items at a slightly greater risk of damage if you don't know exactly what you're doing.
Packing Supplies and Labeling
- Boxes of assorted sizes
- Bubble wrap/packing paper/tissue paper
- Duct tape or packing tape
5. Helpful Packing Methods
- Tape the bottom of each box before you fill it, for enhanced sturdiness.
- Label the boxes according to which room they go to, and what is inside of them
- Wrap every item carefully
- Don’t fill boxes too much. Heavy boxes may break and are not as easy to move around.
- Keep parts of furniture, entertainment centers, or appliances in a box labeled “hardware” or “parts”.
- Use trash bags to pack beddings, pillows, and linens.
- Place heavier items at the bottom of boxes.
- Make sure you properly pack and secure electronics. Look at the owners manual if you are unsure of how to pack a particular item.
- Ensure that boxes with delicate or fragile items are labeled clearly on the outside of the box
- Securely close the moving boxes with packing tape.
6. Final PreparationYou should do a home inventory, including photos of items that have high values. You should pack paperwork, money, photos, computers, jewelry, or sentimental items that are not easily replaceable.
Ask your mover about an item that you are legally not allowed to pack. These items could include food, medication, chemicals, liquor, or even plants. Ask your mover regarding any large items, such as instruments, statues, pots, pool tables, or anything else that will require special handling. Note that these usually come at an additional cost.
By following this simple guide, you should be able to simply calculate your moving estimate in no time.