- Moving Heavy Objects Hasn't Always Been So Easy
- Professionals are Equipped with Proper Tools
- Furniture Dolly
- Deck Dolly
- Small Panel Dolly
- Hand Trucks
- Stair Rollers
- How to Avoid Injuries When Moving a House
- Safety Tips on Moving Heavy Furniture Yourself
- Have the First-Aid Kit On Hand
1. Moving Heavy Objects Hasn't Always Been So EasySince the beginning of time, man has developed various ways to move and transport heavy objects. Today, it is much easier than ever to move objects that simply cannot be lifted without the assistance of some kind of technology. Items that seem as though they would be very heavy to move turn out to be quite simple using tools to move heavy types of furniture such as the hand truck and dolly. Even though moving companies usually handle the transportation of heavy items such as sofas, beds, and dressers, there is still the occasional need to move on of these items or something of the like without the assistance of a professional. Utilizing professional moving companies is an easy way to move heavy furniture. Keep reading for safe furniture moving tips.
2. Professionals are Equipped with Proper ToolsProfessional companies have the proper tools to help with moving large furniture. Professional companies are also better trained on how to move heavy furniture. Moving heavy items would be impossible for even the best professionals if they did not have the assistance of machinery such as the dolly. If heavy furniture movers cannot move heavy items without machinery like this, then there is no plausible way you can move anything without the assistance of these products. In order to avoid injuring yourself by straining muscles or falling, you should practice safe techniques to use for the occasion where you have to lift a heavy item without assistance. Let the professionals handle how to lift heavy furniture.
3. Furniture Dolly
To move larger articles of furniture, there is a special type of dolly called a furniture dolly. This specialized piece of equipment has four wheels and is meant to transport larger, heavier and more awkward items that cannot be moved around using traditional dollies or equipment. A furniture dolly may be used to transport a television or other large article of furniture or appliance. It has a weight limit of 1,000 pounds, and is often used by full-service moving companies or is available for rent should you happen to need one on your own.
4. Deck Dolly
A steel reinforced deck dollyhas a completely flat base with wheels underneath, which can usually hold up to 1000 lbs. and is best used when traveling over flat and smooth surfaces.
5. Small Panel Dolly
A small panel dolly carries an average weight of 600 lbs. and is great for moving doors, mattresses, and construction materials.
6. Hand trucks
A two-position or convertible hand truck is an excellent tool for moving heavy furniture. Often used by restaurants, a convertible hand truck in the upright position holds and an average of 500 lbs. and approximately 1000 lbs. in the flat position, and may cost around $200- $300. This tool is great for lifting heavy boxes and stacked boxes.
A shovel-nose hand truck makes it easier to slide under heavy loads due to its elongated base extension.
7. Stair Rollers
Movers will find both the small and large stair rollers helpful, sometimes called piano dollies that make it possible to move a grand piano upstairs with only one person. These dollies resemble 4 large bicycle wheels attached to a central base. A solid track is then placed on the stairs for the wheel path.
Moving blankets and pads help to absorb shock that can help protect fabrics and surfaces lest a mover accidentally bumps or spills during transport.
Blankets also make it possible to move objects by sliding them across the floor. Moving straps or rope help to secure items to moving instruments like dollies.
A large screen television, for example, will need to be strapped to the dolly. Both moving gloves and straps help protect the hands and body while moving.
Today a Carpathian Stag, for example, might weigh up to 660 lbs. and may have weighed a great deal more during the ice age. Smaller –framed women without partners, or a small hunting party of only two males, might have utilized something like a moving pad to slide their food back to the campfire. Whether today’s move is changing their residence or simply creating Feng Shui in the living room, it is quite necessary to devise intelligent ways of moving and lifting very heavy objects. Avoid visits to the doctor, prescription medications, physical therapy, and overall discomfort, by planning and investing properly in a move.
8. How to Avoid Injuries When Moving a House
Moving can be a very tedious and frustrating thing to do, especially if you have neglected to pack until the last moment. When we are in a rush to get things done, we usually push our own safety aside in the name of efficiency. Doing this not only endangers yourself but those around you as well. Injuries can be avoided by preparing ahead of time and hiring a professional relocation company. Common moving injuries range from cuts and scrapes, stubbed toes, and splinters to muscle and back injuries. So, when lifting heavy items like furniture and large boxes, make sure you are doing everything correctly and take your time.
9. Safety Tips on Moving Heavy Furniture Yourself
- Make sure you have a good grip on what you’re lifting
- Bend at your knees, and avoid bending at the waist.
- Hold the item you are attempting to move closer to your body.
- Spread your legs apart.
- Try not to twist your body too much
- Don’t jerk when moving overweight items.
- Lift slowly and steadily
- Maintain secure footing while lifting
- If the item you are moving is on wheels, it will be less straining to push rather than pull.
- Have a dolly on hand to move heavy or uneven objects.
- Use sliders to move heavy furniture
10. Have the First-Aid Kit on Hand
- First aid booklet (or digital version bookmarked on your smartphone)
- Rubber gloves
- Sterile eye-rinse agent
- hand towels
- band aids
- sterile alcohol wipes
- non-adhesive dressing
- medical tape
- dressing for wounds
- safety pins
In addition to the items listed above, you should also be sure that your cell phone is fully charged, in the event that you have to make an emergency call.
The best way to avoid injuries is to take your time doing things and make sure everything is done properly. Moving furniture easily requires you to exercise much caution.