- Long Distance Traveling: Crossing State Lines
- Ways to Cut Costs
- Read Reviews & Testimonials
- More Considerations
- Can They Handle Fragile Items?
- On-Site Estimates
- Double Check The Paperwork
- Extra Precautions to Take
1. Long Distance Traveling: Crossing State LinesMoving long distance is different than completing a local move for many reasons. An interstate move cannot be done by just packing boxes and loading them on to a moving van. Interstate moving companies are required to abide by a different, more strict set of standards than local moving companies. Interstate movers must have special licensing in order to move goods across state lines. The FMCSA must issue them a DOT Number that will be used to check in to licensing for a long distance moving company, as well as make claims against the company should anything go wrong during the long distance move. Interstate moving requires a lot on the part of the consumer as well. A considerable amount of time and effort is put into long distance moving by the carrier (thus the high price of an interstate move). As such, a lot must be handled by the mover in order to ensure that they are getting everything they need from the interstate movers.
2. Ways to Cut Costs
Long distance moving companies charge by the pound or cubic foot for most moves. In order to save money during a long distance move. If you are doing an interstate move, then be sure to take an extensive inventory of all your items. This will make it easier to file a claim if anything goes missing during the move. However, prior to moving, you can look over this list and find some things that can be gotten rid of in order to make the load lighter. If you have to move a large or heavy item, such as a motor vehicle or boat, then be sure that the mover you choose is equipped to handle these types of items.
3. Read Reviews & Testimonials
Before you choose a mover, be sure to look into all the options you have for a long distance moving company. Interstate moving is something that people do very often. A lot of these moves are booked and handled mostly online, meaning that there are a lot of reviews that can be found for each company you may consider moving with. Use these online reviews to choose the best long distance moving company available. The word of people that have actually done business with the company can be trusted a lot more than what the company says. Use reviews when looking for a licensed, reputable company.
4. More Considerations
When you have created a list of possible interstate moving companies quotes, take some more things into consideration before hiring any one of them. First, you should look in to whether or not the companies you choose will unload your items to another company when they are half way across the country. This is something companies do in order to save money and free up trucks. They will find a moving company in a state close to where you are moving and give your goods to that company, who will ultimately make the delivery at your new home. Companies that do this will often not advertise this, giving the customers the false illusion that their goods are the same company and crew throughout the entire process.
5. Can They Handle Fragile Items?
In addition to checking this, also be sure that the movers are equipped to handle fragile items during a long distance move. Due to the duration of a long distance move, extra steps must be taken in order to keep fragile items protected. Extra fragile items must be placed in a special location on the truck to keep them protected. Long distance moving companies are good when they are properly equipped to handle fragile items.
Cheap Interstate movers should also have trained employees. These employees will be responsible for your goods throughout the entire move, so it is of crucial importance that they know what they are doing. You should also be sure that the movers are properly insured. This is important in the event that something is broken, lost, or damaged.
6. On-Site Estimates
Before any interstate movers are booked, it is important that you get
7. Double Check The Paperwork
When a top rated interstate moving company is ultimately chosen, there are still a few things that you, as a consumer, should do to make sure that everything will be handled properly by the company. Be cautious when signing paperwork. Once you have received all of your goods from the long distance moving company, it will be pretty difficult to claim that you didn’t. Long distance moves have a lot more paperwork than regular moves, making it much more tricky to manage. Take a lot of time to go over each and every article, ensuring that all moving clauses are okay with you before you make things official with a signature.
8. Extra Precautions to Take
To ensure that items do not get lost by the moving company, have someone at your old home when the goods are being picked up and loaded on to the truck. Make a few copies of the inventory list you created, so the person can go through it and make sure all items are loaded on to the truck. Also have someone at the home when the goods are being delivered, doing the same thing in order to confirm that nothing was lost. Doing this will ensure that things are not lost by the mover.To ensure the safety of all of your items, you should be sure to not give any items of high value to the moving company. Look online for a list of items that movers cannot transport, and ensure that these items are not packed. In the unfortunate case that something does get lost, doing this will allow you to catch this early on, as opposed to later when it will be much more difficult to deal with missing items.