- Moving Cross Country Isn't Cheap, But You Can Save
- One Way to Save is by DIY
- Some Tips on Saving for Your Cross Country Move
- Detailed Researching is Vital
- Understanding Services You Need & Any Additional Charges (Ask!)
- What Kind of Services Should I Consider?
- Choosing a Cross COuntry Moving Company
- Check Licensing Credentials
- Inform Yourself
- The Process of Estimation
- Avoid Companies with Low Estimates
- Learn More
1. Moving Cross Country Isn't Cheap, But You Can Save
Having moved my family several times, I can assure you there isn’t a single “cheap” way to do it. There are, however, “cheaper” or more cost effective ways to do it. If you’re lucky enough to work for a company that has employment options in a city you want to move to, check to see if you can get your company to transfer you and pays at least a portion of your moving expenses for you.
Budgeting For the Move
Since most of us don’t have the option of relying on a company to pay for our moving expenses, we need to find cheap ways to move across country without relying on someone else to pay for it. Options for moving on a budget may be limited, but they aren’t non-existent.
2. One Way to Save is by DIY
In most cases, doing it yourself less expensive than hiring a company to do it for you. When you hire a moving company, you are paying not only for the cost of fuel but the cut the company gets as well as the money they will pay the people who work for them. Renting a trailer yourself and doing the labor eliminates the middle man. There’s more work involved for you, but the cash outlay is less.
3. Some Tips on Saving for Your Cross Country Move
If you don’t want to do the work yourself and choose to go with a moving company, go through the items you plan to move and get rid of what you might not need. Moving companies charge by the room, so consolidating can reduce the cost.
Consider the cost of fuel when you look for a cross country moving company. If you notice fuels costs are lower than usual and you are in a position to make the move, do it while the cost of fuel is down. You’d be surprised how much difference low fuel costs can make in the overall expense of moving. To help lower the cost of moving, limit the vehicles you use by towing when possible.
Face it, moving is expensive, so finding cheap ways to move across country is a challenge, but with a little planning, you can at least reduce your moving expenses. Here are a few more tips.
4. Detailed Researching is Vital
Cross-country moving companies cover long distance moving.Long distance transport of people’s items can be demanding, so doing your research before you pick a company is imperative. Determine which moving services you need and consider the price of those services.
5. Understanding Services You Need & Any Additional Charges (Ask!)
Depending on the moving company, you willbe offeredvarious services. In case you already know what services you will need, making decisions will not be hard.When considering thebudget of your cross-country move, remember that the cost of labor and materials is extra charged.
6. What Kind of Services Should I Consider?
Boxes - If you cannot get a hold of free boxes from the supermarket, moving companies offer to purchase the boxes from them that will cost extra. Packing services - Cross-country moving companies, in general, provide the option offull-service moving -- meaning they also render packing.
Packing supplies - If you lack materials such as moving blankets, packing paper, or packing tape, search for a moving company that will offer the above mentioned.
TVcrates - Certain moving companies provide proper TV crates and such boxes for transporting expensive goods in a safe and secure way.
Stair carries - Many companies charge extra for the service of climbing and descending the stairs carrying weighty items. Make sure to ask about the cost before selecting a company.
Long carries – It often happens that the companies charge extra for long walks from your dwelling to the parking space of the moving truck. Ask about the cost of this kind of service, all the more if you live an apartment that is far away from parking lots. You can ask for shuttle service in case you need a smaller vehicle to transport your goods to the moving truck.
Auto transport services
– In case you need to move a car, a company for auto transport
ishired, besides the moving company that is already hired. Nonetheless, there are companies that provide both services, which saves money for you.
7. Choosing a Cross Country Moving CompanyWhen choosing a cross-countrymover, there is a practice that implies picking only three companies and ask for estimates from each one for the sake of comparing prices. Do not choose a company that charges the least --if the company offers too low a price, the odds are they are not so good. Some of the cheap cross country moving companies shouldbe attended byMoving Authority.Consider all the services the company provides and only then make a rational choice that suits your needs.
8. Check Licensing Credentials Choose only companies that have a license and insurance with the department of transportation by checking their US DOT number on the FMCSA.Stay away from moving companies that do not have the appropriate license and accreditation—you may lose your beloved items.
9. Inform Yourself by reading many commendations of these companies and get into contact with each moving company for frames of reference. You want to gain insight on the ways company treats its customers. If the company is authentic, they are to provide you references as proof of their service. A fantastic resource on Moving Authority is to read cross country moving companies review.
Aspire to lay hands tothree estimates in the least from moving companies before deciding.Reading the fine print is vital, and if you find anything unclear, inquire with the moving company to clarify it.
10.The Process of Estimation
Moving companies generally assign their personnel to analyze your home or commercial establishment to estimating your goods. This kind of estimationis preferredto the phone one.
11. Avoid Companies with Low EstimatesCertain moving companies use this as a trick to attract clients and after or during the move they charge their clients a lot more money.
12. Learn More Want to know more about additionalthird party insurance ---chieflywhilst moving precious goods or antiques?Generally speaking, moving companies offer basic insurance which often doesn't cover your expensive or dearly beloved belongings, unfortunately.