How Much Does Packing Service Cost?
Packing Service Cost
- Don't Want to Pack? There's People For That!
- What is a Professional Packing Service?
- Costs for Packing Service
- Saving on Packing Services
- Why Hire Professional Packers?
The question of cost is undoubtedly one of the most difficult to grapple with when getting ready for a move. Everybody knows that there are a lot of costs involved in moving, and many times it is hard for people on a budget to pay for everything that they need during a move. Hiring someone to help you with packing and unpacking can be more of a help than you possibly could have asked for during the stressful period of moving. Professional Packers also know how to pack your goods in a way that prevents them from becoming damaged during transit. Given all of this, is it really worth paying extra for packing and unpacking services during your move? This article will give you some insight on the cost of professionals.
1. Don't Want to Pack? There's People For That!
2. What is a Professional Packing Service?
Professional Packers will handle all of your boxing and packing needs. They will also unpack boxes at your new location. If you are working with a full-service moving company, you can pay an additional charge to have them pack your goods. However, you can also go through a separate company for packing and unpacking services. If you do choose to go this route, remember that the company won’t be responsible for the boxes that were packed by the other company. Of course, there is an exception if they happen to damage the boxes when they are moving them. Packing can sometimes take weeks and weeks to complete if you choose to tackle it on your own. However, if you go the route of having packing service completed for you, then the professional or full-service Packers will know how to work in an efficient way. They will almost always have your home packed in just a few hours, or a day at the most. This is the best option if you are moving in a hurry, or if you have a lot of items that need packing.
3. Costs for Packing Service
Of course, the costs for a packing and unpacking service can vary based on how many items you have. The cost will also be affected by the estimated time it will take to pack your goods, and how much the materials will cost. An estimator will make a visit to your home and take note of everything that has to be packed. If you do not need all of your items packed, and only want the company to handle items of value, then let the estimator know this when they are at your house. Depending on the company, you may be charged an hourly rate, a flat-rate, or a rate based on the volume of the goods. Refer to the table for estimated prices of packing service based on home size and weight of goods.
Size of Home
One Bedroom Apartment
Three-Bedroom Apartment (7,500 lbs)
Some companies may include material charges in their hourly rate. This is just an estimation for how much you should expect to pay for packing services. Some companies may also charge for unpacking services as a separate charge.
4. Saving On Packing Services
If your move cannot be completed without the help of a professional packer, but money is an issue for you, there are a few solutions.
First, you can only request assistance for packing valuable or odd items. You should find it rather easy to pack items such as clothing and books without the help of a professional. Some items that you should leave to the packing professionals include:
- Furniture: since furniture is typically heavy, you may find it difficult to move. If you use the services of professional packers during your move, then you can be assured that it will not be damaged during the move. Professional packers will make sure that the furniture is not damaged before it arrives at your new location. If needed, the movers can disassemble and reassemble furniture to make it less cumbersome to move.
- China and other fragile items: It is vital that delicate glassware is properly packed to prevent it from being damaged during the move. Crystal may not only be worth a lot of money, but it could also hold sentimentality as well. If it means a lot to you, you are better off having professionals pack it.
- Art: Sculptures, paintings, and other antiques require special protection if they are going to be prepped for transport. If you have a specialty art collection that needs special attention, then it is better off being left to the professionals.
- Electronics: These are very tricky to move because they are heavy, valuable, and often large and hard to move. Even a small impact can cause your $1200 television to malfunction. Having them professionally packed is the best way to prevent them from being damaged.
Purchasing your own supplies is also a great way to save money on your move. You should ask the estimator if you can get your own packing supplies. There are some companies that will include materials in their hourly packing rate and offer no sort of discount for providing your own supplies. You should consult with the company if you are using your own supplies.
5. Why Hire Professional Packers?
There are some cases where it is more than worth it to hire Packers:
- You do not have time to pack: Moving is very difficult, and requires a lot of time on your part. It may be hard for you to find time to get everything done by yourself.
- You have a large house: If your home has more than three bedrooms, it will take a long time to pack everything.
- You are moving long distance: Long distance moves can take a toll on your household goods. If they are going to be on a truck for a long time, your best bet is to make sure that there is little risk of damage.
- You have a lot of valuable goods: If you are moving a lot of items that must be handled with care or have a lot of value, then it is better to let Packers handle them. If your items become damaged when you move them yourself, there is no insurance policy to compensate for it.