- General Overview of Moving Industry Pricing
- State-to-State or Cross-Country Moves
- Costs to Factor into Your Move
- Full-Service Moving Companies - Pay Attention to Deposits
- Hire a Reputable & Fully Licensed Company
- Tackling an Office Move Properly
- Importance of Getting Accurate Estimates
- How to Lower the Average Moving Cost
- Stay Within Budget While Still Using a Reputable Moving Company
- Don't Overpack
- Can't Part With It? That's Ok, That's What Storage is For
1. General Overview of Moving Industry PricingMovers paying hourly wages to professionals will benefitgreatlyfrom an organization. This will result in fewer hours worked and fewer dollars spent. Full service moving services and relocation moving are usually the most expensive.In general, professional movers cost about $45 per hour, and professional packing services may cost about $325-$55 per hour. Theoverallaverage cost for 2 professional movers is about $95 and 3 movers per hour is about $135.
2. State-to-State or Cross-Country Moves
For state-to-state and cross-country moving, consider hiring a professional relocation consultant. Experts recommend professional consultants.Useful to both residential and office movers, they can help them to save money, avoid scams, and improve efficiency.Professional movers and nationwide moving services are often hired to transport loads to cross-country locations. These loads contain large furniture items, musical instruments, and/or vehicles. Prices for these services varywidelydepending on the company. This makes it necessary toobtainindividual estimates.3.
3. Costs to Factor into Your Move
Charges for fueling a truck or vehicle traveling cross-country might cost aminimumof $1,000 alone. A basic moving cargo van will cost aminimumof $35 -$90 per day, and summer and weekends pricesare saidto cost 20% higher. A basic moving cargo van will cost aminimumof $30 -$95 per day, and summer and weekends pricesare saidto cost 20% higher.A flat fee move isnormallybased upon the weight of the itemsbeing shippedand the amount of space required for the load.The average cost would be about $.74 per pound, plusadditionalfees related to the individual movers, and for example a $100 fee for each flight of stairs.
If there aren’t any large furniture items it might be more cost effective to arrange for these larger items to be sold or donated and then replaced in the new location.
Another option is to have professional movers professionallypackall ofthe items from the home or office into door-to-door moving pods. These companies offer discounted shipping prices.Prices for pods and storage containers thatare shippeddoor-to door will depend on the size of the container.
4. Full-Service Moving Companies - Pay Attention to Deposits
Many full service moving companieswill ask for a deposit, which is fine. It'snormallyaround 20% or less that they will ask for.Experts warn that companies who are notproperlylicensed will ask for a deposit before releasing goods. Sometimes thisis calleda hostage scam.Hostage scams occur when unlicensed companies see an opportunity to get more money from their clients.These companies will hold onto movers’ belongings after securing, for example, ¼ of the estimated move in advance.and then not return their belongings until they receive an amount that is a great deal more than what wasoriginallyagreed.
5. Hire a Reputable & Fully Licensed Company
Disreputable companies might also accept a deposit and then never show up or perform the move. These companies often start off by offering very cheap and reasonable rates. Moving Authority advises that you pay for what you get, cheap rates do not exist for good moves. You're not buying a cheap t-shirt at the market, you are buying a service. If you need to go to court, you hire the best lawyer. If you're going to a doctor, you're going to search around for the best doctor. It's exactly the same way with movers. You get what you pay for.One benefit of using Moving Authority is that everybody must have a local state license or a United States DOT license to receive a lead from this site.
6. Tackling an Office Move Properly
Packing up an office can be quite a different affair. It involves different types of assets. Office equipment, expensive furniture, and other technological appliances and systems.They will need to hire special movers to load, unload, and toprofessionallyinstall computer systems. Many offices may alsorequirespecial administrative labor in advance of a move. They have toproperlyprepare its inventory, clients, and business transactions. Invite employees to assist the move in any way they can and keep them informed.Insurance for offices and households is always recommended and usually costs about $.49 per pound.Obtainestimates in writing and don’t forget about tipping a mover, which is about 7%-20% of the cost of the move.